Below is a look at some of the top statistical performers at Homestead-Miami Speedway just outside of Miami, Florida going into the Dixie Vodka 400 on February 28 at 3:30 p.m. ET on FOX, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio (Channel 90).
Homestead-Miami Speedway Data
Season Race #: 3 of 36 (02-28-21)
Track Size: 1.5-mile
Banking/Turn 1 & 2: 18-20 degrees
Banking/Turn 3 & 4: 18-20 degrees
Banking/Frontstretch: 4 degrees
Banking/Backstretch: 4 degrees
Frontstretch Length: 1,760 feet
Backstretch Length: 1,760 feet
Race Length: 267 laps / 400.5 miles
Stages 1 & 2 Length: 80 Laps (each)
Finale Stage Length: 107 Laps
Top 10 Driver Ratings at Homestead
Tyler Reddick………………………. 115.5
Kyle Larson…………………………. 107.0
Kevin Harvick………………… ……106.8
Martin Truex Jr…………………….. 105.9
Kyle Busch…………………………. 102.1
Denny Hamlin……………………… 100.1
Chase Elliott…………………………. 96.9
Joey Logano…………………………. 91.6
Brad Keselowski……………………. 89.0
Austin Dillon…………………………. 83.4
Note: Driver Ratings compiled from 2005-2020 races (16 total) among active drivers at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
2020 pole winner:
None — Due To Metric Qualifying
Denny Hamlin started from first
2020 race winner:
Denny Hamlin, Toyota
127.751 mph, (03:08:06), 06-14-20
Track qualifying record:
Brad Keselowski, Ford
181.238 mph, 29.795 secs. 11-14-14
Set in Round 1 of 3
Track race record:
Kyle Busch, Toyota
142.654 mph, (02:48:47), 11-17-19
- Groundbreaking for Homestead-Miami Dade Motorsports Complex — as the track was originally named — began Aug. 24, 1993.
- The first race held at Homestead-Miami Speedway was a NASCAR Xfinity Series event on Nov. 5, 1995 — won by NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett.
- The original configuration was a four-turn, rectangular oval based on Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s layout.
- The first NASCAR Cup Series race at Homestead-Miami was held on Nov. 14, 1999 — won by Tony Stewart (Pontiac).
- 2002 was the first season the Championship Weekend was held at Homestead, with all three of NASCAR‘s national series holding their season finale at the same track.
- The 2019 season was the last time all three NASCAR national series held the Championship race at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
- There have been 22 NASCAR Cup Series races at Homestead-Miami Speedway, one per season since 1999.
- A total of 151 different drivers have competed in at least one NASCAR Cup Series race at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
- A total of 116 drivers have competed in more than one NASCAR Cup Series race at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
- Matt Kenseth, Jimmie Johnson, Kurt Busch and Kevin Harvick lead the NASCAR Cup Series in starts at Homestead-Miami Speedway with 20 each.
- Three drivers have made their first NASCAR Cup Series career start at Homestead-Miami Speedway:
|First Start Drivers||Start||Finish||Date|
|Bobby Hamilton Jr||30||33||Sunday, November 12, 2000|
|Juan Pablo Montoya||29||34||Sunday, November 19, 2006|
|Drew Herring||37||29||Sunday, November 17, 2019|
- Casey Atwood (three starts) leads the NASCAR Cup Series in average starting position at Homestead-Miami Speedway with a 6.333.
- Brad Keselowski (13 starts) leads all active drivers in the series in average starting position at Homestead with a 9.385.
Top 10 in Average Starting Position at Homestead-Miami Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg. Start||Races||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg. Start||Races|
|1||Casey Atwood||6.333||3||1||Brad Keselowski||9.385||13|
|2||Brad Keselowski||9.385||13||2||Ryan Blaney||9.667||6|
|3||Ryan Blaney||9.667||6||3||Kyle Busch||10.375||16|
|4||Kyle Busch||10.375||16||4||Chase Elliott||10.600||5|
|5||Chase Elliott||10.600||5||5||Martin Truex Jr||11.063||16|
|6||Martin Truex Jr||11.063||16||6||Kevin Harvick||11.550||20|
|7||Carl Edwards||11.462||13||7||Joey Logano||12.083||12|
|8||Kevin Harvick||11.550||20||8||Ryan Newman||12.368||19|
|9||Joey Logano||12.083||12||9||Kurt Busch||12.950||20|
|10||Ryan Newman||12.368||19||10||Erik Jones||13.000||4|
- A total of 14 different drivers have won a Busch Pole Award at Homestead-Miami Speedway, four of the 14 are active this weekend.
|NASCAR Cup Series|
|Homestead-Miami Pole Winners|
|Pole Winners (14)||Poles|
- Denny Hamlin leads the series in poles at Homestead-Miami Speedway with three (2015, 2017, 2018).
- David Green won the first NASCAR Cup Series pole at Homestead-Miami Speedway in 1999 at a speed of 155.759 mph (34.669 sec.) in a Pontiac owned by Tim Beverly.
- Three NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won their first series career pole at Homestead-Miami Speedway: David Green (November 1999), Jamie McMurray (November 2003) and David Reutimann (November 2008)
- Youngest series Homestead-Miami pole winner: Joey Logano (November 18, 2012 — 22 years, 5 months, 25 days).
- Oldest series Homestead-Miami pole winner: Bill Elliott (November 11, 2001 — 46 years, 1 month, 3 days).
- Five different manufacturers have won the pole at Homestead-Miami Speedway in the NASCAR Cup Series — Toyota (seven), Chevrolet (five), Ford (four), Dodge (three) and Pontiac (one).
- A total of 14 different driver have won at least one NASCAR Cup Series race at Homestead-Miami Speedway; six of 14 are active this weekend.
|NASCAR Cup Series|
|Homestead Active Race Winners|
|Active Race Winners (6)||Wins|
|Martin Truex Jr||1|
- Greg Biffle (2004, 2005, 2006), Tony Stewart (1999, 2000, 2011) and Denny Hamlin (2009, 2013, 2020) lead the NASCAR Cup Series in wins at Homestead-Miami Speedway with three wins each.
- Of the five drivers with multiple wins at Homestead, Tony Stewart is the only driver to win in two different manufacturers: Pontiac (1999, 2000) and Chevrolet (2011).
- Two drivers have won consecutive races at Homestead-Miami: Tony Stewart (1999 – 2000) and Greg Biffle (2004 — 2006, three straight).
- Youngest series Homestead-Miami race winner: Kurt Busch (November 17, 2002 — 24 years, 3 months, 13 days).
- Oldest series Homestead-Miami race winner: Bill Elliott (November 11, 2001 — 46 years, 1 month, 3 days).
- No driver has scored their first career Cup win at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
- Two of the 22 NASCAR Cup Series races (9.1%) at Homestead-Miami Speedway have been won from the pole: Bill Elliott (2001) and Kurt Busch (2002). Denny Hamlin won from the first starting position in 2020 due to Metric Qualifying (13.64%).
- Seven of the 22 NASCAR Cup Series races (31.82%) at Homestead-Miami Speedway have been won from the front row: three from the first starting position and four from the second starting position.
NASCAR Cup Series Wins by Starting Positions at Homestead-Miami Speedway
|Starting Position||Wins||Winning %||Starting Position||Wins||Winning %|
|Additional Stats||Winning %||Wins|
|Winning from the Pole:||13.64%||3|
|Winning from the Front Row:||31.82%||7|
|Winning from a Top-Five Starting Position:||63.64%||14|
|Winning from a Top-10 Starting Position:||72.73%||16|
|Winning After Starting Outside the Top 10:||27.27%||6|
|Winning After Starting Outside the Top 20:||9.09%||2|
- Denny Hamlin won the 2009 race from the 38th-place starting position, the furthest back a race winner has started at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
- Tony Stewart (1999) is the only driver to win at Homestead-Miami in his first appearance.
- Seven different organizations have won in the NASCAR Cup Series at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
|NASCAR Cup Series|
|Homestead-Miami Organization Wins|
|Joe Gibbs Racing||8|
|Roush Fenway Racing||7|
|Furniture Row Racing||1|
|Richard Petty Motorsports||1|
- Joe Gibbs Racing leads the series in wins at Homestead-Miami with eight victories: Tony Stewart (1999, 2000), Bobby Labonte (2003), Denny Hamlin (2009, 2013, 2020), Kyle Busch (2015, 2019).
- Five different manufacturers have won in the NASCAR Cup Series at Homestead-Miami Speedway, led by Ford with eight victories; followed by Toyota (six), Chevrolet (five), Pontiac (two) and Dodge (one).
ADDITIONAL FINISHING POSITIONS
- A total of 17 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have finished runner-up at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
- Kevin Harvick (2003, 2008, 2015) and Martin Truex Jr. (2006, 2018, 2019) lead the series in runner-up finishes with three each.
- Last season, Chase Elliott finished runner-up in the Homestead-Miami Speedway NASCAR Cup Series race.
|Runner-Up Finishers at Homestead|
|All-Time Drivers||Runner-Up Finishes|
|Martin Truex Jr||3|
- A total of 39 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have finished in the top-five at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
- Kevin Harvick leads the series in top-five finishes at Homestead-Miami with 11 top fives in 20 starts.
Top Five in Top-Five Finishes at Homestead-Miami Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top Fives||Rank||Active Drivers||Top Fives|
|1||Kevin Harvick||11||1||Kevin Harvick||11|
|2||Jeff Gordon||7||2||Martin Truex Jr||6|
|3||Martin Truex Jr||6||3||Denny Hamlin||5|
|4||Carl Edwards||5||Kyle Busch||5|
|Denny Hamlin||5||5||Joey Logano||4|
|Jimmie Johnson||5||Kurt Busch||4|
- A total of 60 different NASCAR Cup Series drivers have finished in the top-10 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
- Kevin Harvick leads the NASCAR Cup series in top-10 finishes with 17 top 10s in 20 starts.
Top Five in Top-10 Finishes at Homestead-Miami Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Top 10s||Rank||Active Drivers||Top 10s|
|1||Kevin Harvick||17||1||Kevin Harvick||17|
|2||Jeff Gordon||13||2||Denny Hamlin||11|
|3||Denny Hamlin||11||3||Martin Truex Jr||10|
|Jimmie Johnson||11||4||Kyle Busch||9|
|Matt Kenseth||11||5||Kurt Busch||7|
- Kevin Harvick leads the series in average finish position at Homestead-Miami Speedway with a 6.4.
Top 10 in Average Finishing position at Homestead-Miami Speedway (All-time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Avg. Finish||Races||Rank||Active Drivers||Avg. Finish||Races|
|1||Kevin Harvick||7.400||20||1||Kevin Harvick||7.400||20|
|2||Chase Elliott||8.000||5||2||Chase Elliott||8.000||5|
|3||Denny Hamlin||9.938||16||3||Denny Hamlin||9.938||16|
|4||Jeff Gordon||10.294||17||4||Martin Truex Jr||10.313||16|
|5||Martin Truex Jr||10.313||16||5||Austin Dillon||12.571||7|
|6||Carl Edwards||11.154||13||6||Kyle Larson||13.000||7|
|7||Scott Wimmer||12.000||4||7||Joey Logano||13.917||12|
|8||Austin Dillon||12.571||7||8||Brad Keselowski||14.077||13|
|9||Kyle Larson||13.000||7||9||Kyle Busch||15.688||16|
|10||Clint Bowyer||13.400||15||10||Ryan Newman||16.263||19|
- A total of 57 different drivers have led at least one lap in the NASCAR Cup Series at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
- Carl Edwards leads the series in laps led at Homestead-Miami Speedway with 615 laps led of his 3,462 laps completed (17.8%);
- Kyle Busch leads all active drivers with 465 laps led in 4,011 laps completed (11.5%).
Top 10 in Laps Led at Homestead-Miami Speedway (All-Time & Active)
|Rank||All-Time Drivers||Races||Led||Completed||% Led|
|8||Martin Truex Jr||16||312||4,247||7.3%|
|Rank||Active Drivers||Races||Led||Completed||% Led|
|5||Martin Truex Jr||16||312||4,247||7.3%|
- The most laps led at Homestead-Miami Speedway by the race winner was 214 of the scheduled 267 laps (80.1%) by Matt Kenseth on November 18, 2007 — he started from the fourth position.
- The most laps led at Homestead-Miami Speedway by a driver that did not win was 191 of the scheduled 267 laps (71.5%) by Kyle Busch on November 18, 2012 — he started eighth and finished fourth.
- The fewest laps led at Homestead-Miami Speedway by the race winner was one lap led of the scheduled 267 laps by Bobby Labonte on November 16, 2003 — he started second and passed Bill Elliott on the last lap to win the race.
- Danica Patrick became the first and only female driver to compete in the NASCAR Cup Series at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
|Date||Driver||Starting Position||Finishing Position||Driver Rating|
TRACK / EVENT SPECIFIC STATS
- Since the advent of electronic scoring the closest Margin of Victory (MOV) in the NASCAR Cup Series at Homestead-Miami Speedway is the November 20, 2005 race won by Greg Biffle with a margin of victory of 0.017-second over second-place NASCAR Hall of Famer Mark Martin.
Top Five Closest Cup Series Margins of Victory at Homestead-Miami Speedway
|Margin of Victory||Date||Winner||Runner-Up|
|0.017||11/20/2005||Greg Biffle||Mark Martin|
|0.342||11/21/2004||Greg Biffle||Jimmie Johnson|
|0.389||11/19/2006||Greg Biffle||Martin Truex Jr|
|0.466||11/20/2016||Jimmie Johnson||Kyle Larson|
|0.500||11/16/2014||Kevin Harvick||Ryan Newman|
|Additional Homestead-Miami Speedway NASCAR Cup Series Stats|
|Previous Races||Last Race||Most / Largest||Fewest / Smallest|
|Cars:||38||43 – 17 Times (11/22/2015)||38 (06/14/2020)|
|Lead Changes:||17||26 (11/20/2011)||12 (11/17/2002)|
|Leaders:||7||15 (11/20/2011)||4 (11/19/2017)|
|Cautions:||6||14 (11/21/2004)||1 (11/14/1999)|
|Caution Laps:||27||79 (11/21/2004)||5 (11/14/1999)|
|Lead Lap Finish:||15||32 (11/16/2014)||6 (11/12/2000)|
|Running at Finish:||37||42 (11/11/2001)||31 (11/21/2010)|
|Laps Led (Winner):||137||214 (11/18/2007)||1 (11/16/2003)|
|Margin of Victory*:||0.895||7.548 (11/16/2008)||0.017 (11/20/2005)|
|* Since 1993 (advent of digital timing and scoring); does not include races completed under caution|
- Qualifying has been cancelled due to weather conditions at Homestead-Miami Speedway just once – 2019.
- None of the 22 series races at Homestead-Miami Speedway have been shortened due to weather.
- Three of the 22 series races at Homestead-Miami Speedway have ended under NASCAR Overtime:
|Date||Scheduled Laps||Actual Laps||NASCAR Overtime||Winner||Runner-Up|
|11/20/2016||267||268||1||Jimmie Johnson||Kyle Larson|
|11/19/2006||267||268||1||Greg Biffle||Martin Truex Jr|
|11/21/2004||267||271||4||Greg Biffle||Jimmie Johnson|
NASCAR IN FLORIDA
- There have been 341 NASCAR national series races among 10 tracks in the state of Florida.
|Tracks in Florida|
|Track Name||City||Cup||Xfinity||Truck||Total Races||First Year|
|Daytona International Speedway||Daytona Beach||148||59||22||229||1959|
|Daytona Beach & Road Course||Daytona Beach||10||0||0||10||1949|
|Palm Beach Speedway||W. Palm Beach||7||0||0||7||1952|
|Daytona Road Course||Daytona Beach||2||2||2||6||2020|
|Volusia County Speedway||Barberville||0||4||0||4||1989|
|Walt Disney World Speedway||Orlando||0||0||2||2||1997|
|Five Flags Speedway||Pensacola||1||0||0||1||1953|
|Golden Gate Speedway||Tampa||1||0||0||1||1963|
The first NASCAR national series race held in the state of Florida was on July 10, 1949 at the Daytona Beach & Road Course in Daytona Beach, Florida — the event was won by Red Byron (Oldsmobile).
FLORIDA DRIVERS IN NASCAR
- A total of 186 drivers that have made at least one start in a NASCAR national series race have their home state recorded as Florida.
- There have been 12 NASCAR national series race winners from the state of Florida have combined to win 97 NASCAR national series races.
|Winners From Florida|
— NASCAR —